The Connected Educator: Media Literacy Skills for Educators
€480 (Fully Funded)
Accommodation & Other
Up to €160 per day (Fully Funded)
In the digital era, the ability to access, analyze, evaluate and create media has become a key skill for everyone. However, digital advancements have brought new challenges to both youth and adults. The Connected Educator: Media Literacy Skills for Educators course aims to equip educators/ teachers/ youth workers with key skills and knowledge required, in order to be better prepared in promoting digital citizenship, critical thinking and democratic values both in their professional and also their personal lives as well.
At the end of the course, participants will also gain access to an educational game designed to support them in their role to transfer this knowledge to their learners and also to a series of online webinars to further develop their own media literacy skills anytime, anywhere.
- Introduction to Media Literacy and the Network Society.
- Information Literacy: Fake News and Critical Thinking.
- Managing Online Identity and Personal Threads: Digital footprint and Online Grooming.
- Methods and tools/ games for teaching media literacy to children and youth.
- How to create engaging lesson plans and activities/materials regarding media literacy for children and youth.
Aims in relation to the development of your organisation
- Your organisation will develop key skills, competences and attitudes to become a responsible, critical and global citizen in the digital world.
- Your organisation will be able to create learning opportunities for young students/ youth to acquire digital and media literacy skills.
- Your organisation will be able to offer support and guidance in issues and threads related to the internet.
* The course can be modified according to the preferences of the attendees
Presentation and registration by all participants to the ‘Emphasys KA1 platform’ which includes all the necessary information regarding the practical arrangements of the course. You will be provided with a general introduction to the aims and objectives of the overall course and you will take part in different team building activities for all of the participants to get to know each other.
The course will begin with an introduction to the network society, the impact of technology on society and the importance of media literacy skills in order to promote critical thinking and democratic values.
- Course Introduction
- Team building activities
- Introduction to Network Society and Media Literacy
With the expansion of communication technologies and social media, we have access to an unlimited source of information. However, not all the information we view on the internet are accurate. On the second day of the course, we will focus on issues such as misinformation, mal-information and dis-information and also on different ways on how to critically evaluate the information you receive online.
All the information about us that they are available online are more public than we think. On the third day of this course, you will learn more about our digital footprints and how they form our digital identity. Additionally, we will learn more about the risk of online grooming and how information about us online can be used against us.
After discussing issues such as fake news, managing online identity and online grooming, on the fourth day of the course, you will be introduced to different teaching methods on how to develop media literacy skills to their learners themselves. Additionally, you will gain access to different educational tools and an educational game which were developed to support educators deliver media literacy training to their students.
The fifth day of the course will explore a series of digital tools, platforms and techniques that can support lesson planning, activity and assessment design to facilitate student learning and engagement. You will also gain access to a library of already developed activities and lesson plans to use with your learners.
The final day of the course includes a short validation test, in order to receive a certificate and become officially Connected Educators. You will get the opportunity to evaluate the course and discuss any future collaborations.
- Visit to ANT1 (TV/Radio) station
- Visit to Primary/Secondary School
*The above dates can be flexible, whereas new ones can also be provided to accommodate the needs or availability of participants.